Sunday, February 03, 2008

Wow, Holy Cow

Puchica! It's been a long time since I've written anything. Sorry.

I'm at the Peace Corps office, stopped in the capital to run errands that I can't run in my community, and to take a break. A little one. I have been working a lot, trying to be productive. Being productive actually. I've committed myself to teaching English and working in the school gardens at both of the schools in my canton. One school is a 20 minute walk from my front door, the other, a 50 minute walk and increase of over 400 feet in altitude. My commitments, important and fulfilling, are keeping my body in tune and my mind focused. It does take a lot of mental strength to get up in the morning and hike up the mountain to give a 45 minute class, to kids who are too embarrassed to participate. But if it weren't a challenge I don't think it would be quite as fun. We are close to planting in the vegetable gardens and the students (and me) already have two classes under their belt. It's becoming less uncommon to hear "Good Bye Don Mateo" instead of the typical "Salu Don Mateo." Of course I would not be teaching English had I not been requested by the professors, and the students, and the parents to do so. And even though I don't want to believe it will happen, it is very likely that many of the students will one day leave for "El Norte," where their English WILL serve them. I have already seen one of my co-workers hit the road with a Coyote, and is already in La USA with her friends and family that have made their home and given her sanctuary.

I've done a lot, since that last time of writing. I've killed a cow. Hiked to the tallest point in my canton with fellow volunteer, Nick. See the shots on Flickr to take awe in the view and the beauty. I've become acompanado (I have a new partner): a 3 month old white puppy named Polar. I've helped prepare way for my house, which officially begins construction today. I, Si Dios Quiere, will be in my brand new adobe house in less than a month. Armando donated an acre of his land to me to cultivate and care for, to produce my own food and implement my soil conservation practices. It will become a great demonstrative plot during my training sessions. And, if I find success, will provide me with a little amount of food this year. I wonder if artichokes will take. Mmmm.

I feel good in my community. I have spent a lot of time developing confidence between myself and my community members over the past three months. Holy cow, I've been in El Salvador for over five months now. My community, I feel, trusts me and wants to work with me to help them build. I have had some small projects completed. A health project that allowed five residents to obtain free cataract surgery. I am planning a training session to teach the farmers how to plant on the contours of the mountain, instead of broadly planting as is the normal practice. I'm excited. My time as a volunteer, as you can imagine, is not spent much in soil conservation as says the title of my program. Most of my energy goes into helping to solicit funds to rebuild our road, which is close to being impassible; building a foot bridge so the kids can cross the river to school during the winter when the rains swell the water to impassible; and helpign the schools develop better infrastructure, including flowing water. I have been playing a lot of soccer, finally. My team plays me at middle mid-field and I've done well there, so far. No major injuries, just a sprained ankle. Segway...

Soccer tournaments on the mountain are not fun. A tournament in the mountains goes as follows: Host a tournament, inviting 15 to 20 teams, to be played and finished in one day. Games must be no longer than 20 minutes. Teams hike in from neighboring mountain communities, hours away. Hang out until all have arrived, commence games late in the morning. Once a team loses, it is done for the day. It goes home. Or if it keeps winning, plays until loses, then goes home. One might spend all day at the field, but only play twenty minutes, which is exactly what our team has done twice now. I'm not a fan of the tourneys. But, willingly I go to be closer to the dudes on the team and to continue building confidence woth my community members. They might be proud to have a Gringo on the team, I can't say for sure. But what is certain, the hike and company is always worth spending a day away.


Things I've learned since last time I wrote:

Armadillo tastes like chicken; gamy, flaky chicken. Almost every fruit on the mountain can be used to make moonshine. Velas, or wakes, are great opportunities for flirting, eating, playing cards, and if one has the ganas, getting sloppy drunk (the bolos come out to drink). Making loud noise when a swarm of bees is passing by makes them make a hive in a nearby tree, great for harvesting honey. Our mayor wants to help our road and send the tractor up to fix it, but told us the driver has been drunk for weeks, so he hasn't been able to come up. Bummer. Everyone, even men, swims in their clothes at the beach. Huge scorpions, yes, are terrifying.

I don't have a horse yet, but still looking.

Va pues, Salu.