Monday, October 15, 2007

Dias de Immersion






Getting off the bus in San Vicente yesterday was like coming home too early from a trip that was too amazing. I spent four days in the north of the country, outside the city of Metapan in the state of Santa Ana. I went with my compañero Nick to stay with a current volunteer working with agroferestry in the mountains outside of Metapan. Bart, or Bartolume to his community, is the first volunteer ever in that site, working on his third year in the Peace Corps. And he was a cool, funny guy. After getting into town, he took us to a local restaurant, where we ate a delicious cow tongue, and got to know each other better. One of the first things he said while we were eating was "Yeah I was a vegetarian when I came here and two months later I was eating cow balls without even knowing it." We laughed and that was the first of many great lines from him. He turned out to be a great guy to talk to and to learn from. He's someone I really wanted to meet in the Peace Corps. He is there to really try hard, and enjoy his work too.

The first night Bart put me up with a family in his community. Staying there I learned that in that particular community, mostly everyone had relatives that had migrated to Fayetteville, Arkansas! I was talking with an old lady about Dickson Street and Eureka Springs. I don't even meet Arkansans in Indiana and I come to El Sal and meet a guy wearing an Arkansas Razorback baseball cap. We didn't get into who we know in NW Arkansas but I am sure that if we had talked long enough we would have made some connections.

The next day I took off from the house and headed towards Bart's place, at the top of the mountain. I crossed 8 km in two hours, hiking through cloud forests at 70% grades. There, I found my zen. I've never quite felt so far away and apart of something hidden as much as I felt in that hike. I was alone, tired, not lost but in unfamiliar territory, and looking over miles and miles of view of El Sal countryside. I'll let the bad news out now, which is that I didn't have my camera. Stupid, stupid, Matt. But my buddy Nick took some shots on his solo hike and i'll get some of the shots to show you. It was breathtaking. I crossed a region that separated those with electricity, and those without. Those with letrines, and those without. Those who send their kids to school, and those who don't. My experience can't be described to you. I just can't do it. It's too much for me to even recollect in one thought. I do know now that where I am posted, I hope to be just as isolated as I was here. That is where I feel I will be utilized best. Plus, the people were the nicest I have met.

The rest of the day I spent resting at Bart's house under the blanket of cloud at 4500 feet, then rushing down the mountain during a torrential downpour to collect Nick, and relaxing again at the apex drinking hot Salvadoran coffee and trying to stay warm. Me and Nick and Bart hit things off so well and kept each other entertained with shinanigans and great conversation.

The next day we ran again down the mountainside, taking pig trails that Bart new well, feeling like we were in an Indiana Jones movie, keeping our eyes on the track and out for pumas too. We grabbed a truck heading into town. In the back, we stood perched on the truck bed dodging low-lying branches (Nick was slapped once with a wet pine branch), and grabbing flowers from trees and giving them to the cute Salvadoran girl in the truck (Nick again). We got into town and bought some groceries for our next night's stay in a neighboring community, where two other trainee's were staying with another current volunteer. We arrived there after crossing a bamboo bridge spanning a white water river. We then delivered our salutations to a 90 year old woman celebrating her birthday, along with 200 other people who had come in from miles away, some from the US, to be with her. We tended a bee hive, where I was able to lend a hand with some practical knowledge learned from previous experience (thanks Dad). We swam in the river and rested out the end of the evening.

The next day was our return. After sitting for half an hour and seeing Bart's dog get hit by a car, we hitched a ride to Santa Ana city and from there bused it back home, with the previous days on our mind. And last night I dreamt in Spanish. It was truly immersion days for me. Tomorrow I meet up with the other trainees and our day will be filled with stories. Different experiences but probably many firsts and many unforgetable moments. It was a great experience for me. Honestly, I am considering requesting that site for my placement. Bart is ending his tour soon and will need a replacement. I would love to fill the spot.

Coming up is a week of field based training, where again I will be in another site. This time learning how to do work within my community. More stories to come and definitely I promise pictures. Salu Pues.